Round 2 Match Reports

By February 19, 2018 Uncategorized No Comments

Round 2 Results

Round 2 is complete and in the books. Some incredible plays, performances and results. FLORugby has the match reports below –

Nasoqeqe Triple Leads Belmont Shore Over Olympic Club

SFGG Pulls Away Late Over Santa Monica In PRP

OMBAC Comes Back To Beat Life West

OMBAC Match Report #2

It was a beautiful day in San Diego with temperatures in the mid 70’s and a slight West to East breeze. Life West had the wind at their backs in the first half and OMBAC had the late afternoon sun in their face.

OMBAC’s attempts to exit their half too often resulted in positive counter attacks lead by Life West’s shifty fullback Antony Munoz but it wasn’t until the 33rd minute that Life West could convert the pressure into points with a try near the corner from their #2 Jacob Finau. He scored again just 3 minutes later with the 2nd being converted by Devereaux Ferris.

Overall the 1st half was a rather sloppy display of rugby with too many knock-ons but lots of solid tackles. Both teams had plenty to talk about during the break.

OMBAC made their point that the game was still a contest in the 1st minute of the 2nd half. A little indecision from Ferris on which way he would pass allowed Jackson Larkin from OMBAC to step up into the line and intercept a pass and a few steps later he offloaded to Charlie Purden who dotted it down. Mike Dillon made the conversion to bring OMBAC to within 5 with 39 minutes to go. OMBAC built some solid pressure just a few minutes later correcting some of the flaws in their attack from the first half and Tai Tuisamoa broke a tackle and then accelerated to a pace we haven’t seen from Tai in 5 or 6 years (20 – 30 lbs ago) to break away from the Life West defense and score in the corner. Mike Dillon 2/3rds made up for an easy penalty kick miss just before the break by slotting the very difficult right side of the field kick from very close to the touch line.

Again OMBAC built some pressure that resulted in a penalty down by the posts which Dillon slotted to move the score to 17-12 with 25 minutes left in the game. For the next 20 minutes possession and territory went back and forth with not much to talk about. Finau almost made It a hat trick in the corner but a knock turned the ball over with an OMBAC scum. OMBAC was able to clear and then go on attack with Tim Stanfill scoring on the last play of the game to turn a 5-point closely contested game into a solid 12 point victory for OMBAC. No bonus points were earned on the day.

Current Standings


Leave a Reply

Facebook IconTwitter Icon